Laddoo is a ball-shaped sweet dish which is often served during festivals and special occasions in India. Here’s our detailed recipe for making delicious Urad dal Laddoos. Hope you enjoy 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups urad dal (without cover)
- 1 tablespoon rice (white)
- 1/2 cup unsalted melted butter or ghee (as required)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cashew nut
- 6-8 cardamom (as per your taste)
- On medium heat dry roast urad dal for 2 minutes. Keep stirring continuously in the process of heating.
2. Add rice and roast the mixture again for 3 -4 minutes or till it becomes golden brown (with stirring). Let it cool down to normal temperature.
3. Blend the mix thoroughly using blender until it becomes in a course powder form. keep it aside.
4. Pour granulated sugar and peeled cardamom together into a blender. Blend the sugar and cardamom mixture until it is a fine.(Please note that sugar and cardamom mentioned in this step are not to be added in the mixture prepared the in step 3.)
5. Put a pan on medium heat and fry cashew nuts with little Ghee/Butter until it becomes light brown. Keep it aside and let it cool down.
6. Take a deep bowl and mix well the Urad dal mixutre (step 3) and Sugar-Cardamom mixture (step 4). Keep adding melted ghee during the mixing process.
7. To make laddoos take about 2 tablespoon of mixture into your palm and gently press the mixture at least 4-5 times. Add a split cashew nut on a laddoo as shown in the picture. and press in your palm again it forms a nice and smooth round shape.
You can keep urad dal mix (Step 3), sugar and cardamom powder (Step 4) in airtight container to preserve it for long time. Whenever you crave for the laddoos just go through the steps 5 to 7.
- Urad dal is one of the richest sources of proteins and Vitamin B.
- Ghee is Rich in Fat Soluble Vitamins A, D and E.