200g Jalpur Dhokra Mix,
100g Sour Yoghurt (natural),
1 Tbsn Salt,
1 tsp Soda-bi-carbonate or ENO fruit salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi),
3 tbsp Oil,
1/4 tsp Asofoetida (hing) Powder,
1/4 tsp Black Pepper Powder (coarse),
1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder,
2-3 Green Chillis,
1-2 Garlic Cloves (optional),
1/2″ Piece of Ginger,
4-5 Coriander Stems Finely Chopped,
1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice (optional)
1. Mix Jalpur Dhokra Flour with sour yoghurt, water, salt and turmeric powder.
2. Leave to ferment overnight or at least 6-7 hours.
3. Make a paste of green chillis, ginger and garlic
4. Now add to the batter the soda-bi-carbonate, oil, asafoetida and green chilli paste.
5. Apply a little oil to a metal thali. Pour enough batter so as to fill half the height of the thali. This should ordinarily be about 1/2 the amount for a small thali.
6. Sprinkle a little ground pepper on top
7. Sprinkle a little red chilli powder and chopped corriander on top.
8. Steam for about 10minutes.
9. Cut into square or diamond pieces and serve with raw oil and green chutney.